A J Bush Rendering Facility Rebuild – Rising From Ashes
|Client:||AJ Bush & Sons|
|Location:||Beaudesert, Queensland Australia|
|Scope overview:||Disaster Recovery - Rendering Facility Rebuild – Rising From Ashes|
|Project Profile:||Download PDF|
A J Bush relocated their Brisbane plant to Beaudesert in 1993. Wiley carried out the design, construction and project management for the relocation.
In 2001, the Processing Building was completely destroyed by fire. Wiley was awarded the task of reconstructing the plant with minimum interruption to the facility’s overall production.
- Complete the project in the shortest time frame with competitive tendering and complete cost transparency
- A fast-track method was required where the design, tenders, awarding and rebuilding could run simultaneously, but still retain competitive tendering for the client and other stakeholders such as insurers
- Rebuild the plant around temporary process operations
- A new structure had to be built over the existing temporary process lines, while those processes remained in full operations.
The Wiley approach achieved the earliest completion date for the re-built facility. The timing of the design process was critical. Drawings had to incorporate a building extension and changes to meet new requirements.
Key program dates were:
- Week 4 demolition and clearing complete
- Week 6 temporary process lines operational
- Week 12 roof complete
- Week 24 project complete
The estimated time saved on completion by detailed planning and overlapping design, tendering, and construction activities was 12 weeks.